Friday, November 23, 2012

Winter Tulle Wreath

Ok here goes nothing! I created this blog spot about 3 weeks ago, and ever since have been thinking about what to post. So after spending Black Friday at 3 different craft stores to get the supplies for a new wreath I figured this is it. I love making wreaths. They are the first thing someone sees when coming into your house, so I feel that they should be special. The ones at the craft stores are nice but too expensive for me. There is nothing better than someone asking where you got it and your answer is "I made it!"

My current obsession is tulle. I rectally made a tutu for part of my Halloween costume (I won third place!). I just love how fluffy it is and it is very forgiving. I am not one to be exact and measure things. Ok so here is my project, combining wreaths and tulle!

I started the project then decided to take pictures, but you'll get the idea. I started with a 12' green styrofoam wreath, 3 rolls of tulle (white, white with glitter and blue with glitter), I also had  dark blue and light blue tulle from my tutu, there were 15 pieces of each and about 12' each.( I would suggest a yard of each. If it were me i would buy 2 yards, I tend to over buy to be on the safe side. I would hate to be in the middle of a project and not have enough to finish, oh yeah that happens all of the time to me!) I liked the rolls of tulle in the wedding isle, there was less cutting but it was a little more expensive.

CAUTION: The glitter tulle is VERY, VERY, VERY messy. I laid down a towel on the floor where I was working.

So i started with the dark blue and tied them around the wreath, then I added two white pieces between.


I continued around in a pattern with all of the colors. Until it was filled in. I ended up using all of the tulle that I had to make it really full. With the foam being green it wanted to make sure you couldn't see it.


 Of course my dog, Nala, wanted to check everything out, she was keeping a close watch


 The finished product! I used a bow from my old winter wreath, but I am not sure if I like it. I might make another one with some ribbon I picked up today. To hang it, it just used a spare piece of the white tulle and tied it around and hung it on the hook on my door.


I made the wreath with "winter" colors. I like that I can keep it up from now until Valentines day. You could opt for more traditional Christmas colors, greens, reds, golds maybe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment